Saturday, August 1, 2009

VonJesson Daycare Exchange


DAYCARE. The word sends shivers down working moms spines. Until you start looking for it, its just unimaginable what we moms in need of daycare have to go through. One of my friends is a stay-at-home mom, and she has said she just can't relate because it is such a non-issue with her. I know that her eyes glaze over when others start talking about it and I know that she has almost half fallen asleep whilst I was complaining about it on the phone to her. I understand though, until you go through it, you just can't relate.

Two daycare experiences later, one good, one not so good, and one friend stuck in a bind...and the VonJesson Daycare Exchange was formed. To be honest I was tentative, not because the Vondys aren't great kids, they are the best, but really, could I handle 5 children and still maintain my sanity? I didn't want to be one of those non-licenced places that put their own children ahead of the ones they are watching.

What if it didn't work out? This was my running/race partner! We workout all the time at the gym together! Who would I give weird looks to as the Cyclefit instructor made weird HOOTING owl sounds at us! Most of all... I could lose a good friend. Luckily we discussed everything, and then we discussed it more, and then I also realized that the Vondy side was also concerned if this went bad, it could go really BAD! We joked that we would both be depressed and gain a gazillion pounds!

But it DIDN'T and it turned out to be even BETTER for our friendship! PHEW! The benefits are endless for the kids and for us!

Too many people have approached me astounded or shocked that we are doing this then they sneakily tell me they wish they could do it, and do you have any recommendations!?!?

Here are a few...

Well to start off, make sure your children all get along. Kids, adults, animals all have personalities and sometimes they may clash. Make sure that you are not forcing the situation on a child, just because YOU want it to work it may not help you in the long run. Anything forced is never a good idea. I knew the Vondys for almost 2 years, so there was no hiding or faking when it came to how they are, I already knew they got along.

Next notice how the other parent ...well, parents. Is it your style, how would you handle the situation. If you don't respect what they do with their children, why would you let them handle your children's predicaments?!?! Also, if they DON'T deal with a situation, that can also create other issues later.

Now both of us have taken them to classes, to the grocery store, to Costco, to the toy store. They are all great together and its just like a big family. I laugh when people are amazed and stunned! My favourite is when I go to the grocery store, and because J & E are blond, and the Vondys are blond, they all look related. I always get mistaken for the Nanny (not because of the laugh), more because of the long black hair. How in the world could I have blond, blue-eyed kids?!?!

Another great bonus is that they really bring out the best in each other. Let's face it, its more fun in a group to do crafts, music, and games. The boys really love to play superheros and have almost become inseparable, the girls are all girly and now Easty is SO into dressing up in dresses. They gravitate towards each other and it is so noticeable when we go out to other playdates and parks.

Hey, don't get me wrong, some days are not perfect, it can get loud, and they sometimes get a little nutty and goofy, but really it's never been a nightmare. The worst is when I was having trouble with Jackson not being able to get up, and he wouldn't eat and the proceed to have hissy fit in creative moves/dance class, but that was Jackson with me, not the Vondys! The worst thing that has happened is that they all want to sit beside each other and there isn't enough room on the couch!

I highly recommend doing a daycare exchange. Being at work and knowing that you can totally trust the person taking care of your kids, is so calming. I am myself and can express my feelings about every situation, and its nice to know that I really DON'T have to do that ALL THE TIME, and that someone is loving and caring for my children like I would. As I love and care for the Vondys like they are my own.

COMMUNICATION is the key to every relationship. Talk about everything, it works in marriage, friendships, work, all relationships. We are never afraid to talk about anything, and we don't get defensive or easily offended. It will never work if you don't discuss things, or expect the other person to read your body language or mind! Really is just logical to communicate it!

The tough part will be when Jackson goes to Kindergarten and the VonJesson Daycare Exchange will have to end, as they are in different school en catchments.

I guess we will just have to enjoy the moments we have now!

No comments:

Post a Comment