Have you ever just met someone and they tell you...well EVERYTHING! I don't know if it's me or if it has to do with the people I am meeting, or its this transition time or epiphany in their lives, but they just do.
While working for the infamous BlarneyStone in Gastown, we had a shooter girl who just started that night. I preceded with the normal formalities, "Welcome to the Stone!", "How are you?", "Where did you work before?", etc. All of a sudden she started telling me about this relationship that had just ended. Fine, we all have been there and sometimes the wounds are so fresh that you just have to just explain yourself because your catching yourself not being yourself or basically this is just not your regular behaviour. I understand that approach. Then all of sudden she transitioned into her, how do I say it, abortions. I am all for a person's right to choose so I am not judging here but I think I started to catch bar fruit flies in my mouth cause my mouth was in stun open mode. Then I kind of start wondering~ Why are you telling me this? I just met you? Isn't this information a wee tad bit too personal for a 1st conversation? We actually never became the best of friends but I don't know if the full disclosure was part of it or not. I never had a choice in the situation. It's been happening all my life, it's nice to know that people think I can be trusted but I think these people will tell anybody anything.. just to be the 1st to inform you of it!
It happened again last night. Where we have been living for the last 5 years is our lovely new little subdivision. We were part of the 1st phase and so were most of our neighbours, now its insane but we will save that for another rant.
My hubby Chris decided that we should all go crash this fair at an elementary school. Do some family bonding. So we grabbed the chiltlins and headed on over. There a woman started waving and Chris started giving me that 'I am smiling & waving but who the hell is it I am smiling at?' look. I recognized them as our neighbours from across the street. Our history is this, I am loading or unloading the kids in the car and she is driving by so we give each other the friendly wave or vice versa. Chris had actually referred some work to the husband, as one time when cutting the grass the husband came over and started chatting to Chris about his company name on his shirt/hat or something, and realized they pretty much work in the same business together. Chris continually gets confused about his name for some reason.
Well he won't forget it now!
Immediately they start chatting us up and she started asking me what I do for a living. Recreation Therapist. I work in Rehab and Residential and then basically explain my profession in 10 words or less. People still don't get it but if they really want to know, I let them inquire more. Today was 10 wds or less. Then the wife breaks into "he's (her hubby) is going in for brain surgery" .... "I gotta be the chauffeur! I should get a taxi sign and put it on my car!" This is where Chris starts to exit stage left to *AHEM* check on the kids. Then she explains that he can't drive because he has epilepsy and his meds are not working and now they will have to do brain surgery and plant electrodes on his brain. All while the husband is just standing there. I wished him luck on his surgery and said that I had heard good things about it and he just said "yeah". To change the subject I started to talk about the crazy drivers in the hood, feeling that we could bond on this because her kids play in the streets and mine are young and well RUN OUT in the streets. Then she took the ball and how do they say...ran with it! She complained about the girl who drives the black sports car and that her mother who drives the minivan are crazy drivers. I agreed. Then she told me how the mother drinks and drives and that she found the Dad drunk and passed out at the Subway and then he tried to ride his scooter home and she gave him a ride to be a good neighbour and then the wife didn't thank her and gave her a dirty look and that she thinks the wife is also on anti-depressants...BREATHE LADY! Luckily, my son Jackson interrupted me because he had rocks in his crocs for the 7th time since he started playing. ANYWAY that all happened in the short span of like 5 minutes...SERIOUSLY! Not 20 or even 10.... 5 minutes! She should be an auctioneer, you know the ones ...going once going twice SOLD! She had just given me a whole load of gossip that was just kind of insane. First of which was personal and then it was downright dirty about the neighbours....personally I never would ever have a conversation with her about anything personal or private ....she is like the local GAZETTE and WHAT AM I SAYING I don't tell people that I just wave at anything personal anyway!
Guess we are not going to be close friends.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


haha. sometimes I worry that I am oversharing....but I am NOTHING like this!
ReplyDelete