12 years ago...actually longer than that. I was working as the Head Waitress/Serving Wench at the infamous BlarneyStone in Gastown.

Do you know this bar/club? Most people have some stories, I believe Killarney is still playing there.
Our then new manger, LG, let a company put in a one of those machines stuffed full of ungettable stuffies that you try to win by manoeuvring this metal claw around them, pick them up, and then drop them into the chute...the chute, that a small child/girl/boy can climb up and into the machine by, see below.
OK picture 3 waitresses, bored, waiting for customers, and having a whole float full of stuffy machine fun coins. Most of these machines are rigged so its pretty much impossible to win a stuffy for your loonie, it usually takes enough loonies that you have spent too much, way more than the damn thing is worth!!! Well lets just say that it got to the point, that if we won one, we had school girl hissy fits and proudly displayed our stuffy/later-to-be drinking companion at the serving station. One night I won George. He had suction cups on all fours and I think at the time displaying a stuffed animal on your inside car window was cool/trendy/tacky.
Of course living downtown I think I had already crashed my, bought new, '92 Turbo Tercel and personally I was TOO COOL to be displaying a stuffy in it. After winning him that night, George led a reasonably quiet life, that was until I met my now man Christopher W.
Chris has a BRILLIANT sense of humour. I mean ya gotta to handle this lady's laugh. It has been likened to that of a machine gun. He basically started animating George and well at that point I was constantly using 'Cheeky Monkey' in order to mock my British Best Friends English sayings. We had been going out for some time, when I believe I got angry with Chris and I just shouted MONKEY, in an angry scolding tone and that was it.
We lovingly and angrily used MONKEY, as well, pet names for each other. Yes I know, gag, its time to THROW UP. Hey at least its not like my man's brothers nicknames for their significant others,Chumpys and Pacos. Exactly what is a Chumpy, for that matter what is a Paco?! I do believe we won out in the nickname category. The only unfortunate occurrence, is that for the last 12 years we have been receiving stuffed monkeys out our ying-yang.
STOP people! I have this large antique cradle that basically holds the majority of them but I have MORE. I have even donated them, but alas stuffys are not desirable items at the good thrift stores.
They definitely DO NOT want them for toy drives, unless that is they are brand spanking new.
***Nickname Derivatives of Monkey: MonkeeMama; MPT= Monkee Pants Tanaka; MonkeePaPa; MPJ = Monkee Pants Jesson; MarioMonkey-when I drive too fast; the rest to be updated at a later time....basically an ongoing process.


You crack me up!
ReplyDelete